Wednesday 1 November 2017

Review: Five Fields

Five Fields Five Fields by Gillian Clarke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don’t read as much poetry as I feel that I should do, and when an artist who follows me on Twitter recommended this poet and my library had a copy, I’d thought that I would have nothing to lose. From what I can gather Clarke usually draws inspiration for her prose from the Welsh landscape and there are elements of this in the collection. However, in here, she has taken a wider brief and looked to the city as an extra source as well as from other countries.

We kept one bottle longer than the rest,
Forgot it in the back of the cupboard,
And found it, tiding up, uncorked it,
And wondered at the taste of shadows in it

There are some lovely poems in here, and I particularly liked The Honey Man, Little Owls, Sloes Light and Seeing Angels. Some of my favourite poems were those touching on the natural world, especially those rooted in her home country. There were others that I liked a lot, but there were a number I found harder to fathom, but that is as much my fault as they do need to be read and read to sink in. There is some lovely prose in here and will definitely be reading more of her work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment